Mom’s Pumpkin Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 50 min.
Makes2 pies (8 servings each)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In another bowl, whisk water and remaining flour until smooth. Gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide pastry in half. Roll out each portion between two pieces of plastic wrap into an 11-in. circle. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Remove one sheet of plastic wrap from one pastry; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining
- plastic wrap. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg substitute, egg, sugars, salt and spices until blended. Beat in pumpkin. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into crusts. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Garnish with whipped topping.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 245 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 25, 2013
2 of these ingredients- Shortening and Cool whip- are full of TRANSFAT so this would have to be modified to be safer for - anyone.
Nov 25, 2013
What are you restricting? The sugar is off the charts for 1 pie, and too much egg. If you want a pumpkin pie and not a custard pie, you only need 1 egg, 1.5 cups pumpkin and only about 1/2 c sugar. I have been making an amish recipe pumpkin pie for years and it is the best I've tasted...but, I also make it with a goose-neck/long-neck pumpkin, not canned.
Jul 6, 2012
The filling for this pie was awesome but the crust was terrible. It was very hard to work with, tough, and had little flavor. I did a little research and found other lighter versions for crust. I will definately make this again but with a different crust recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.