- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 eye of round roast (about 3 pounds)
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- Lettuce, tomato and onion, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients; add roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove the roast and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, skim fat and strain cooking juices. Thinly slice the beef. Serve on rolls with warmed juices and lettuce, tomato and onion if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forMom's Portable Beef
"Today is my second time making this recipe. Normally I would never have thought to use these seasonings with beef. Wow & Yummy!"