Mom's Molasses Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Roll into 1-1/4-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until tops crack and edges are slightly firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
2 each: 63 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Molasses Cookies
"Wonderful recipe. Just the right amount of spice and soft and chewy. I didn't refrigerate due to time constraints but they were very easy to roll without refrigeration. I took some out to the contractors building our garage and also gave a dozen to the plumber here doing some work. They were both delighted. As a Volunteer Field Editor I enjoy trying out new recipes as part of my duties. You will not be disappointed with this recipe!"
"These were so soft, chewy, and delicious! We made it for Christmas and they are definitely a keeper! :)"
"My husband was hungry for comfort food yesterday, these cookies were so delicious I am making another batch today, so good!"
"I would decrease the nutmeg to 1/2 a teaspoon, but otherwise this recipe is the best Molasses cookie recipe we've tried."
"Soft and Delicious!!!!!"
"These cookies were the best, in fact we ate nearly the whole batch that night. I think there are only 8 left. I did make them a little larger than the recipe called for tho."
"Absolutely delicious!! In my opinion, molasses cookies have to be soft, and these were perfect!! I'd definitely make these again"
"Best molasses cookies I've ever made. Yummy and chewy."
"This has been my all-time favorite molasses cookie recipe since it appeared in a 2004 issue of Taste of Home. In fact, it's probably in my top 3 cookies of any kind!!"
"These cookies were just too hard once they cooled completely...I expected them to be soft, so I probably won't make these again."
"Delicious!! So soft and chewy! Everyone loved them"
"I have been using this recipe since I first saw it in Taste of Home. Our family likes enjoys the flavor of molasses so I usually increase it by 2/3 to 3/4 cup without making any other changes. This is the only recipe I will use."
"I got this recipe from the Taste of Home magazine a few years ago and loved these cookies! The woman who submitted it was right, they make the house smell absolutely wonderful! I plan on making them this Fall for my get togethers. :)"
"This recipe first appeared on a small phamphlet in a bag of flour back in 1939. I have such a pamphlet given to me by my mother."