Mom’s Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 366 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 1092mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein.
Aug 22, 2019
This is always a hit! My husband devours this meatloaf! He even admitted that after all the years of loving his mom's meatloaf, he thinks this is even better!
Jul 28, 2019
[email protected] Great recipe..I added a touch of prepared mustard and a capsule apple cider vinegar to ketchup
Jun 23, 2019
I'm not a big fan of meatloaf, but this was very good. Made it exact, but will cut back on the milk next time. Great comfort meal, thanks Michelle
Jun 13, 2019
I tried this recipe without the milk, onion and saltines....used italian bread crumbs for the saltines...a huge hit with my husband and I. Can't wait to make it again and tweak it a bit!
May 28, 2019
I learned this from my mom, too. The brown sugar is that secret ingredient that is the game changer. I try to stay away from sugar but meat loaf without it is just "meh"
May 21, 2019
May 11, 2019
I got this from you magazine several years ago. First of all it is delicious ! Several homes I’ve brought it to LOVE it. At holiday time I am asked to bring it for our main recipe. It’s just the best recipe you will ever have. It’s also very easy to make. You owe it to yourself and family and friends to try this one!
May 8, 2019
I always add diced bell peppers to my meatloaf. And several slices of bread. Crackers would add to much salt.
Mar 19, 2019
I love this meatloaf. Very flavorful, and the leftovers are great as well. This one's definitely a keeper!
Dec 10, 2018
I have never been a fan of meatloaf either, but this recipe won me over! The only change I made was omitting the sage. The meatloaf came out moist and flavorful! My kids loved it and the leftovers didn't last very long. This is now my 'go to' recipe when my husband requests meatloaf from now on!