- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMom's Meat Loaf
"Wonderful meat loaf recipe! The saltines, milk and eggs make it super tender and the sage doesn't overpower at all....just adds a nice earthy warmth to it. The sauce was a bit too sweet for us, so next time I'll cut back on the brown sugar. But this is a great meatloaf, and something I'll definitely make again!Volunteer Field Editor"
"I was never a meatloaf fan, but I substitute Ritz crackers and we love this recipe. My 4 year old son cried when I told him I was making meatloaf.. he ate 4 helpings and now both him and his dad ask for this ATLEAST once a week. The sauce makes it perfect!! And it's so simple. Definitely a staple in our house!"
"Doubled the recipe and made 2 I did not make the sauce just used ketchup straight from the bottle. There was none left and everyone loved it. Thanks for the recipe."
"Great meatloaf recipe, the sage gives a special touch. I love the sauce on the side to use as much as desired."
"Switched milk with tomato sauce and it was amazing!My very picky family loves it and ask for it often ?"
"I don't even like meatloaf but this was amazing!!! Kids loved it too. My daughter who is very picky was nibbling at it all night. Very moist and the sauce was wonderful!"
"Sugar in a beef meatloaf just doesn't sound right."
"Too sweet. Maybe cut the brown sugar in half? Also think it needs more crackers as the texture was "sloppy" (basically fell apart as soon as I lifted it out).I absolutely hated it but my wife liked it. I'd give it a ZERO, she gave it a 4...so my rating is half way between. To each their own. Sorry for her but since I'm the cook, I won't be making this again. If you like a sweeter tasting meatloaf, this is the one for you."
"This is hands down the best meatloaf I have ever eaten..My 13 year old grandson loved it, what better compliment than that!! There was enough for dinner and leftover for hot meatloaf sandwiches..the sweet and sour sauce is amazing!!"
"I loved this meatloaf! I would have given this a 5 star however, My family did not like the barbecue sauce."