- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMom's Meat Loaf
"Made this last night, OMG, it is the best. I must say I did make some changes, but my hubby has always liked my usual meatloaf, but he loves this one. I replaced the milk with a can of golden mushroom soup, packet of Lipton onion soup, deleted the sage, not big sage fans, The amount of cracker crumbs had to increased. I used almost a full sleeve of crackers and probably could have been ok with the whole sleeve. It is a winner in our book."
"My wife and I made this just by the recipe and it was nasty. Thought we had made a mistake so we did it again. This is the worse tasting meat loafs I have ever tasted. I'll never make it again."
"Very good recipe, my go to. I read all the comments and altered it like this:I used 80/20 ground, so I doubled the cracker to 1 1/2 cups Ritz, and I used 1/2 cup cream instead of milk to help make it firmer. It's important to let the meatloaf rest 10 minutes before serving.I also altered the topping, adding prepared mustard, using less ketchup, and adding less brown sugar.Came out great."
"Wonderful meat loaf recipe! The saltines, milk and eggs make it super tender and the sage doesn't overpower at all....just adds a nice earthy warmth to it. The sauce was a bit too sweet for us, so next time I'll cut back on the brown sugar. But this is a great meatloaf, and something I'll definitely make again!Volunteer Field Editor"
"I was never a meatloaf fan, but I substitute Ritz crackers and we love this recipe. My 4 year old son cried when I told him I was making meatloaf.. he ate 4 helpings and now both him and his dad ask for this ATLEAST once a week. The sauce makes it perfect!! And it's so simple. Definitely a staple in our house!"
"Doubled the recipe and made 2 I did not make the sauce just used ketchup straight from the bottle. There was none left and everyone loved it. Thanks for the recipe."
"Great meatloaf recipe, the sage gives a special touch. I love the sauce on the side to use as much as desired."
"Switched milk with tomato sauce and it was amazing!My very picky family loves it and ask for it often ?"
"I don't even like meatloaf but this was amazing!!! Kids loved it too. My daughter who is very picky was nibbling at it all night. Very moist and the sauce was wonderful!"
"Sugar in a beef meatloaf just doesn't sound right."