- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMom's Meat Loaf
"The best meatloaf I have ever had!"
"We love this recipe so much that we had it for a Christmas party. It was a big hit. Reqested recipe."
"I use 2 lbs ground beef and 12 ozs of Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage. No brown sugar and 1 Chopped green pepper. Also, 1 can of evaporated milk and a whole sleeve of crackers. The sausage and green pepper takes it to another level. Still use the sage seasoning and one8 oz of tomato sauce instead of catsup. Use half in the meatloaf and half as the topping."
"This is my favorite recipe but instead of the crackers I’ll use bread crumbs"
"I agree with Randall. I made it today and followed recipe exactly as said. Sorry, but this is the worst meatloaf I ever made. I landed up giving it to my cats!"
"The blending is great. The ketchup and brown sugar combo topping is like having candy for diner. I suggest using half a ketchup/Worcestershire in the blend and the rest as the topping . No brown sugar!!!!"
"I made this meatloaf today and it turned out awesome. I used chicken stock instead of milk, and added more saltine crackers (I used a whole sleeve). At the end of 60 minutes, I turned the oven off, opened the oven door and let it sit there for another hour. Meatloaf was juicy and delicious. I also used less brown sugar in the recipe.,"
"Made this last night, OMG, it is the best. I must say I did make some changes, but my hubby has always liked my usual meatloaf, but he loves this one. I replaced the milk with a can of golden mushroom soup, packet of Lipton onion soup, deleted the sage, not big sage fans, The amount of cracker crumbs had to increased. I used almost a full sleeve of crackers and probably could have been ok with the whole sleeve. It is a winner in our book."
"My wife and I made this just by the recipe and it was nasty. Thought we had made a mistake so we did it again. This is the worse tasting meat loafs I have ever tasted. I'll never make it again."
"Very good recipe, my go to. I read all the comments and altered it like this:I used 80/20 ground, so I doubled the cracker to 1 1/2 cups Ritz, and I used 1/2 cup cream instead of milk to help make it firmer. It's important to let the meatloaf rest 10 minutes before serving.I also altered the topping, adding prepared mustard, using less ketchup, and adding less brown sugar.Came out great."