- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMom's Macaroni and Cheese
"This recipe is simple to make and delicious. My hubby asked me to use large elbow macaroni the second time I made it so I did. Been making it that way ever since. The cheese sauce just gets in the macaroni better that way according to my kitchen critics!"
"My first time making mac & cheese from a scratch. Very easy & everyone. Liked it. A keeper.I also used 4 oz. Of Velveeta."
"This is one of the cheesiest I've tasted!"
"Big hit at recent potluck. I added 1/2 tsp. Of dry mustard for a little extra flavor."
"Worked great! I didn't bake it, and I doubled the cheddar cheese rather than using Velveta, and it worked great! Kids loved it for lunch!"
"My family and I love this recipe, however I tweaked it a bit. I use 4 oz of vellveeta and I use Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs. I also brush the butter on top of the crackers! It is absolutely delicious and super cheesy!"
"Very creamy mac and cheese. Just like mom used to make!"
"For some reason I have a hard time with macaroni and cheese, the flavor and consistency is never what I want until I made this recipe. It comes out great every time and the flavor and the thick creamy texture and just what I've been looking for. I go a little heavier on the cheddar cheese."
"easy to make and really good!"