- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a greased 1-1/2 qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; reduce heat. Stir in cheeses, salt and pepper until cheese is melted. Pour over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMom's Macaroni and Cheese
"My first time making mac & cheese from a scratch. Very easy & everyone. Liked it. A keeper.I also used 4 oz. Of Velveeta."
"This is one of the cheesiest I've tasted!"
"Big hit at recent potluck. I added 1/2 tsp. Of dry mustard for a little extra flavor."
"Worked great! I didn't bake it, and I doubled the cheddar cheese rather than using Velveta, and it worked great! Kids loved it for lunch!"
"My family and I love this recipe, however I tweaked it a bit. I use 4 oz of vellveeta and I use Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs. I also brush the butter on top of the crackers! It is absolutely delicious and super cheesy!"
"Very creamy mac and cheese. Just like mom used to make!"
"For some reason I have a hard time with macaroni and cheese, the flavor and consistency is never what I want until I made this recipe. It comes out great every time and the flavor and the thick creamy texture and just what I've been looking for. I go a little heavier on the cheddar cheese."
"easy to make and really good!"
"Delicious! Make it!"