- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9 inches)
- Whipped cream, lemon and mint, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, flour and salt; mix well. Stir in lemon juice and peel; set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. Bake 1 hour or until lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Garnish with whipped cream, lemon and mint if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forMom's Lemon Custard Pie
"Wasn't bad. Was very favorable, east to make and I had all the ingredients already but the pie crust. Will make again but next time I will try lime."
"This is my great grandmother's Lemon Sponge pie recipe...if you want to boost the lemon flavor, increase the amount of lemon zest, and sub the milk with buttermilk. You won't be sorry!"
"Yep....this is a "keeper" recipe!!! Glad to see the hint about using 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract in lieu of lemon zest....all the other ingredients I usually have on hand but don't always have a lemon. (BTW...I used bottled lemon juice...we always have that). Love recipes I can thow together and not have to run to the store!"
"After seeing this in the list of pies for the holidays I knew I had to try it, because it sounded like one my Aunt Sara used to make when we visited when I was young, (very young) I'm 71 now. So off to the kitchen I went , and followed it every step of the way. It's cooling now and it smells heavenly in here. Wish I had more lemons and I would have made 2.It's cooled down to room temp. that's all I need for a small taste, it tastes like I remember. Thank you for whisking time back for me. This goes in my keeper file."
"Made this pie for my mom' birthday. She loved it. It was very refreshing. Only thing I changed is instead of lemon zest, I used 1/2 tsp of lemon extract. Delicious!"
"My husband enjoyed this tasty pie. It has plenty of lemon flavor."
"Fantastic pie !! I have been making 2 every Friday night for the restaurant and they are sold out by 6:30pm. Thanks for sharing"
"Made this pie a few times, everybody loves it,nice change from plain custard."
"My mother used to make something like this, but she put it in custard cups. Will that work with this recipe? Will it have to be baked in a water bath if it's in custard cups? That would work better for me than a pie, but it sounds wonderful either way."