Mom’s Hazelnut & Chocolate Bread Pudding
Mom combined her love of hazelnut spread and bread pudding into one delicious recipe. I adapted it for my slow cooker to save time in the kitchen. It's a great make-ahead game-day dessert. —Jo Hahn, Newport News, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 cups cubed challah or brioche
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup hazelnut spread
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Microwave butter and chocolate chips until melted, 30-45 seconds; stir until smooth. Cool. In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray, combine bread cubes and hazelnuts. In a large bowl, combine next seven ingredients, mixing well. Add chocolate mixture to bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Pour egg mixture over bread and hazelnuts, gently pressing bread cubes to help them absorb liquid. Cook, covered, on low until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 4-5 hours. Serve warm, dolloped with whipped cream if desired.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 259 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Mom’s Hazelnut & Chocolate Bread Pudding in Taste of Home December 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.