Mom’s Hazelnut & Chocolate Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 cups cubed challah or brioche
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup hazelnut spread
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Microwave butter and chocolate chips until melted, 30-45 seconds; stir until smooth. Cool. In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray, combine bread cubes and hazelnuts. In a large bowl, combine next seven ingredients, mixing well. Add chocolate mixture to bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Pour egg mixture over bread and hazelnuts, gently pressing bread cubes to help them absorb liquid. Cook, covered, on low until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 4-5 hours. Serve warm, dolloped with whipped cream if desired.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 259 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 8, 2020
Adding the melted chocolate to the egg mixture was a little tricky, and I didn't get it smooth, but that just made this amazing fudge swirl. I used gluten-free bread, while milk with just 1/4 c cream, and baked it in a casserole dish at 350. The results were absolutely amazing! Will definitely make again.