Mom’s Gingered Apple Salad
Here’s a refreshing twist on the classic Waldorf salad. Seasoned with ginger, dried cranberries and water chestnuts, this combo is quick and delicious. —Rebekah Radewahn, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 medium apples, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, sugar, ginger and salt; pour over apple mixture and toss to coat. Chill until serving.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 213 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Mom's Gingered Apple Salad in Taste of Home August/September 2010