My mom found this recipe many years ago and has since handed it down to me and my sisters. It makes an appearance every Thanksgiving.—Linda Stemen, Monroeville, Indiana
Recommended: Who Knew You Could Do That with Jello?
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup green grapes, halved
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped dates, optional
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Heat and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in sugar, orange juice and lemon juice; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate, covered, until slightly thickened, about 1-1/2 hours. Fold in fruit. Pour into a 6-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray or a 2-qt. serving bowl. Refrigerate until firm. If using a ring mold, unmold onto a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Gelatin Fruit Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014