"CORN BREAD just seems to go with chili, especially here in the Southwest, even though Mom's chili is considerably different than the kind that is normally served around here. Mom always made a fresh batch of corn bread when she'd cook up a pot of chili. It just didn't seem right to have one without the other."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 9 servings
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk together the eggs, milk and shortening. Stir into dry ingredients just until blended.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.