- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk together the eggs, milk and shortening. Stir into dry ingredients just until blended.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: about 9 servings.
Reviews forMom's Cornbread
"This was really dry and had absolutely no flavor whatsoever. There are better recipes out there."