- 2 egg, beaten
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup shortening or bacon fat, melted
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine eggs, milk and shortening. Sift together all remaining ingredients and add to egg mixture; stir only until blended. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 8-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes, or until bread shrinks slightly from sides of the pan and begins to brown on the edges. Yield: about 9 servings.
Reviews forMom's Cornbread
"This was really dry and had absolutely no flavor whatsoever. There are better recipes out there."