Mom’s Coconut Cookies
Mom worked hard to keep us fed during the Depression, and there was never a day we went hungry. These cookies could always be found in the cookie jar.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut.
- Shape into two 3-1/2-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/8-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 425° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 120 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Mom's Coconut Cookies in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.