Mom’s Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes11 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 cup milk
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onion, celery, carrot and green pepper in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add the remaining butter; cook until melted. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
- Gradually stir in the broth, clam juice, potato and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the cream, clams and milk; heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 266 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 927mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 26, 2012
This was wonderful. I only changed 1 thing and omitted 1 ingredient. I didn't put any green pepper in. I didn't use any cream. I used 3 cups of 1 % milk instead. I used regular cherry stone clams instead of canned.