- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 cup milk
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onion, celery, carrot and green pepper in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add the remaining butter; cook until melted. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
- Gradually stir in the broth, clam juice, potato and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the cream, clams and milk; heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forMom's Clam Chowder
"This was wonderful. I only changed 1 thing and omitted 1 ingredient. I didn't put any green pepper in. I didn't use any cream. I used 3 cups of 1 % milk instead. I used regular cherry stone clams instead of canned."