Mom’s Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- COCOA FROSTING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons whole milk
- In a small bowl, stir chocolate in boiling water until melted; cool for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg yolks and chocolate mixture. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Gradually beat in water, nuts and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- In a bowl, cream butter. Combine sugar and cocoa; gradually add to butter with vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 445 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 24, 2011
I make this frosting recipe VERY often! In fact, we just moved and I can't find my cookbook, so I had to hunt for it here! I do adapt it slightly, adding more cocoa in place of some of the sugar. Dahling, it's MAHVELOUS! :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.