Mom’s Brown Bread
For years I looked for the perfect brown bread recipe—one that tasted just like the bread we enjoyed as children. My searching paid off when I found this recipe. Now it isn't a holiday celebration without Mom's Brown Bread!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the raisins and butter; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda, vanilla and salt; stir into raisin mixture.
- Grease three 16-oz. vegetable or fruit cans. Divide batter between cans and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until breads test done. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from cans. If necessary, remove bottom of cans and push breads through. Cool on a wire rack.
If Cooking for Two: Breads may be frozen to enjoy for months to come.
Nutrition Facts8 each: 107 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Mom's Brown Bread in Reminisce November/December 1991
Jan 18, 2010
I have meant to make these bread loaves for years, but didn't until this weekend when I was making baked beans. My grandson helped me and we had fun. The bread is wonderful.