Mom’s Brown Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the raisins and butter; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda, vanilla and salt; stir into raisin mixture.
- Grease three 16-oz. vegetable or fruit cans. Divide batter between cans and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until breads test done. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from cans. If necessary, remove bottom of cans and push breads through. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts8 each: 107 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 18, 2010
I have meant to make these bread loaves for years, but didn't until this weekend when I was making baked beans. My grandson helped me and we had fun. The bread is wonderful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.