Mom's Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 6 cups water
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, optional
- 1 bay leaf, optional
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1. Place soup bones and water in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Set beef bones aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and return meat to broth. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, barley, tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic and bay leaf if desired. Cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup: 256 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Beef Stew
"This was one of the best beef stews I have ever had. I made the Cheesy Corn Squares (in the same issue) as a side. Will definitely make both again."
"I made this stew last week for my husband and myself. It was so good and tasty. The only thing I did differently was the meat. I used cubed stew meat and it was perfect! I recommend this soup to anyone who wants a hearty meal."