- 2 pounds meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 6 cups water
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, optional
- 1 bay leaf, optional
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Place soup bones and water in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Set beef bones aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and return meat to broth. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, barley, tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic and bay leaf if desired. Cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forMom's Beef Stew
"This was one of the best beef stews I have ever had. I made the Cheesy Corn Squares (in the same issue) as a side. Will definitely make both again."
"I made this stew last week for my husband and myself. It was so good and tasty. The only thing I did differently was the meat. I used cubed stew meat and it was perfect! I recommend this soup to anyone who wants a hearty meal."