Mom's Apple Crisp Recipe
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the apples, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples, pressing down to smooth top.
- 3. Slowly pour water over the top; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup: 318 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Apple Crisp
"Made this for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. I used half flour and half oats for a bit of texture and replaced the water with cider (because I had some to use up). Highly recommended!"
"I didn't pour the full cup of water over the top as I thought it might be to much. Used about 1/2 cup. Came out great."
"Made this for a luncheon and it got all raves. It was autumn at the time, so I used apple cider for half of the water, worked perfectly."
"My family loved this it turned out great how ever I would put a pan under it it boiled over and set my smoke alarms off. I had to turn it off clean the oven then put it back in and finish cooking it. How ever my family loved it and it was gone fast."
"I modified the recipe using enough apples for a 9x13 pan. I increased he topping by one half. It was enough to cover. Very good!"
"Wonderful flavor. I don't like tart apples so I used Golden Delicious apples. I used the 1/4 cup of sugar in the apples, but only used 1/2 cup of sugar in the topping. This is my favorite apple crisp recipe."
"This is very good, just wish it was lower in calories. Am going to try to cut back on the sugar some, it was very sweet and I think cutting back wouldn't hurt some. Also maybe add some oatmeal for some additional crisp at the top to suit my hubby's taste. All in all very good though and very easy!"
"Our favorite apple crisp recipe :D"
"This is absolutely amazing. It is devine.....Add ice cream to it and enjoy with a hot cup of tea....."
"I use canned apple pie mix. My husband prefers peach & cherry so will be making them also.Using the canned should be baked maybe,30 minutes?"