Mom’s Apple Crisp
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples, pressing down to smooth top.
- Slowly pour water over the top; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 318 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 11, 2017
Delicious!!! I used Gala apples. And added cinnamon to the crumb mixture b4 adding butter.
Nov 30, 2016
Made this for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. I used half flour and half oats for a bit of texture and replaced the water with cider (because I had some to use up). Highly recommended!
Dec 9, 2015
I didn't pour the full cup of water over the top as I thought it might be to much. Used about 1/2 cup. Came out great.
Mar 17, 2013
Made this for a luncheon and it got all raves. It was autumn at the time, so I used apple cider for half of the water, worked perfectly.
Sep 18, 2012
My family loved this it turned out great how ever I would put a pan under it it boiled over and set my smoke alarms off. I had to turn it off clean the oven then put it back in and finish cooking it. How ever my family loved it and it was gone fast.
Feb 26, 2012
I modified the recipe using enough apples for a 9x13 pan. I increased he topping by one half. It was enough to cover. Very good!
Sep 28, 2010
Wonderful flavor. I don't like tart apples so I used Golden Delicious apples. I used the 1/4 cup of sugar in the apples, but only used 1/2 cup of sugar in the topping. This is my favorite apple crisp recipe.
Jun 8, 2010
This is very good, just wish it was lower in calories. Am going to try to cut back on the sugar some, it was very sweet and I think cutting back wouldn't hurt some. Also maybe add some oatmeal for some additional crisp at the top to suit my hubby's taste. All in all very good though and very easy!
Oct 5, 2009
Our favorite apple crisp recipe :D
Aug 15, 2009
This is absolutely amazing. It is devine.....Add ice cream to it and enjoy with a hot cup of tea.....
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.