Mom’s Almond-Filled Coffee Rings
The recipe for Mom's coffee cake goes back more than 50 years. Perfect for special occasions, the nut-filled ring is so pretty and has such wonderful flavor.—Arlene Murphy, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
Makes2 rings (10 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped almonds
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the eggs, sugar, butter, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Combine the almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Spread butter over rectangles to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with almond mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Place each portion seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-1/2-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over rings.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 350 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.