Mom’s A-to-Z Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups A to Z ingredients (choose from list below)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- A TO Z INGREDIENTS:
- Apples, peeled and shredded
- Apricots (dried), chopped
- Banana (ripe), mashed
- Carrot, shredded
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- Dates, pitted and chopped
- Figs (dried), chopped
- Grapes (seedless), chopped
- Oranges, peeled and chopped
- Peaches, peeled and chopped
- Pears, peeled and chopped
- Pineapple (canned), crushed and drained
- Dried plums, pitted and chopped
- Pumpkin, canned
- Raspberries, fresh or frozen
- Rhubarb, chopped fresh or frozen
- Strawberries, fresh or frozen
- Sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- Zucchini, peeled and shredded
- Combine the sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in A to Z ingredients of your choice and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into liquid ingredients just until moistened. Stir in walnuts. Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 239 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 2, 2018
sburr434I found 1 teaspoon salt makes it to salty. Maybe use 1/2 teaspoon. This doesn't work well with blueberries. I will try other ingredients.
Sep 17, 2013
Used strawberries, raspberries, banana,coconut and a sprinkle of chocolate chips and made them into muffins. They were moist and flavorful
Jul 25, 2013
This is always excellent and I haven't found a combo that hasn't worked for me. I find myself going to this recipe first.
Apr 6, 2013
I made this when my children were little and they loved it! Lost the recipe and was extremely happy when I found it on the website! My young adults are waiting at the counter for the loaf to cool as I write. Thanks Taste of Home!
Feb 11, 2013
I used 1-1/2 c. of chopped dates instead of 2 from the A-Z group. The bread did not rise enough, and the dates sunk to the bottom resulting in a dense bread. I will make again, but will use something that will add some moisture to it instead of taking it away. It is still a very tasty bread.
Nov 13, 2012
Moist and delicious
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.