Molten Chocolate Cakes with Mint Fudge Sauce
The perfect accompaniment to a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, my Molten Chocolate Cakes feature my signature mint sauce. Ice cream, chocolate cake and mint fudge sauce—it's the triple threat of desserts. —Diane Halferty, Corpus Christi, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/4 cups unsalted butter, cubed
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 8 egg yolks
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- CHOCOLATE MINT SAUCE:
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over hot water, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolks and confectioners' sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in flour until well blended. Gradually beat in butter mixture.
- Transfer to eight greased 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 15-17 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center reads 160° and sides of cakes are set.
- Meanwhile, in a double boiler or metal bowl over hot water, melt chocolates; stir until smooth. Whisk in the hot water, corn syrup and extract; remove and keep warm.
- Remove cakes from the oven and let stand for 1 minute. Run a knife around edges of ramekins; invert onto dessert plates. Serve with warm chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream if desired.
Originally published as Molten Chocolate Cakes with Mint Fudge Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012