Mole Poblano de Guajolote
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1 hour + standing
- 1 turkey (8 to 10 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup lard
- 4 cups Mole Poblano
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- Pat turkey dry. Cut off wings; discard or save for another use. Cut off legs; separate drumsticks from thighs. Cut the breast into quarters. Sprinkle all sides of turkey pieces with salt. In a Dutch oven or large heavy skillet, melt lard. Cook turkey pieces in batches over medium heat until browned on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain pan drippings. Return turkey to Dutch oven. Pour mole over the top; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 180°.
- Remove turkey to a cutting board; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Cut turkey into 1/4-in. slices if desired. Arrange turkey slices or pieces in a deep serving dish; drizzle with mole. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Originally published as Turkey in Mole Poblano in Taste of Home's Mexican Recipe Cards
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.