VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 turkey (8 to 10 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup lard
- 4 cups Mole Poblano
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- Pat turkey dry. Cut off wings; discard or save for another use. Cut off legs; separate drumsticks from thighs. Cut the breast into quarters. Sprinkle all sides of turkey pieces with salt. In a Dutch oven or large heavy skillet, melt lard. Cook turkey pieces in batches over medium heat until browned on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain pan drippings. Return turkey to Dutch oven. Pour mole over the top; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 180°.
- Remove turkey to a cutting board; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Cut turkey into 1/4-in. slices if desired. Arrange turkey slices or pieces in a deep serving dish; drizzle with mole. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Mole Poblano de Guajolote in Taste of Home Clip Strip 2005