I found this recipe in an area newspaper years ago. When this festive salad appears at a potluck, folks always come back for seconds...and sometimes thirds! I sometimes tint it with food coloring for the holidays.
Recommended: 45 Jiggly, Fluffy Salads for Your Holiday Spread
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- In a medium saucepan, dissolve gelatin in cold water. Add pineapple, cream cheese, sugar and juices; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until cream cheese is melted and gelatin is dissolved. Chill until syrupy. Fold in cream and cherries. Pour into an oiled 6-cup mold. Chill until firm. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Molded Cherry-Pineapple Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p77