VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 3 tablespoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring the molasses, sugar and water to a boil. cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage), stirring occasionally.
- Add the vanilla, baking soda and remaining butter. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until the thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; pour into prepared pan. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- With buttered fingers, quickly pull half of the taffy until firm but pliable. Pull and shape into a 1/2-in. rope; cut into 1-1/4-in. pieces. Repeat with remaining taffy. Wrap each piece in foil, colored candy wrappers or waxed paper. Yield: about 12-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Molasses Taffy in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p53
Reviews forMolasses Taffy
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2009
"this is some good candy"