- 7 tablespoons butter (no substitutes), softened, divided
- 2 cups molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 3 tablespoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring the molasses, sugar and water to a boil. cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage), stirring occasionally.
- Add the vanilla, baking soda and remaining butter. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until the thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; pour into prepared pan. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- With buttered fingers, quickly pull half of the taffy until firm but pliable. Pull and shape into a 1/2-in. rope; cut into 1-1/4-in. pieces. Repeat with remaining taffy. Wrap each piece in foil, colored candy wrappers or waxed paper. Yield: about 12-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forMolasses Taffy
"this is some good candy"