Molasses Steak Sandwiches
Molasses adds a sweetness to this sandwich which will make it special enough to serve at any get-together.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick and 4 ounces each)
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a shallow dish, mix molasses, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon oil and mustard. Add steaks and turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate up to 2 hours.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade. Brush mushrooms with remaining oil. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Grill mushrooms, covered, 8-10 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Remove steaks and mushrooms from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
- Grill rolls, cut side down, for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cut mushrooms and steaks into slices. Serve in rolls with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 452 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Molasses Steak Sandwiches in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.