VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (4 ounces each)
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the molasses, brown sugar, oil and mustard; add steaks. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Grill mushrooms for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned, turning every minute. Place buns, cut sides down, on grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Cut mushrooms into 1/4-in. slices.
- Place the steaks, cheese and mushrooms on bun bottoms; replace tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Molasses Steak Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p203