"I've given this yummy munch mix as a Christmas gift to teachers, co-workers and many others," relates Jacqueline Traffas from her kitchen in Medicine Lodge, Kansas. "Made with miniature pretzels, it's a nice change of pace from caramel corn."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 cups miniature pretzels
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and molasses. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45-50 seconds or until the butter is melted; stir.
- Microwave 15-25 seconds longer or until mixture boils. Immediately stir in the salt, baking soda and extract (mixture will foam).
- Stir in pretzels and peanuts. Microwave on high for 20-30 seconds or until pretzels and nuts are well coated, stirring twice.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring twice. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 6 cups.
Originally published as Molasses Pretzel Snack in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p36