Molasses Oatmeal Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and vanilla. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 2. Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 140 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Molasses Oatmeal Chip Cookies
"I agree with everyone else that these are delicious. I'm not a big fan of molasses and when I was tasted the raw dough, I was a bit uncertain as to whether or not I'd like the finished product. But once baked, the molasses flavor is very subtle and gives the cookie that feeling of, "What's in this cookie that makes it different from other chocolate chip cookies?" The only thing I'd do differently is slightly flatten the cookies before baking. I rolled them into balls as instructed and when they were baked, they were mounded in the middle and flat on the edges. Still delicious, just not as eye-appealing."
"I got more than 18 cookies from the recipe...I'd would rather have smaller cookies. Mine turned out quite soft...were they supposed to?"
"These were so, so yummy! My whole family loved them!"
"This is definitely a favorite! It's very satisfying and the cinnamon and molasses really make it wonderful!"
"I have to admit that when I saw the recipe called for molasses and cinnamon I was a little intrigued. After making them, I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice twist the molasses and cinnamon added to the cookies! They were quick and easy to make and very yummy!! It's a keeper. I will be adding this recipe to my list of favorites for sure."
"These are very good they remind me of cookies my grandma would make. They fill the house with the scent of cinnamon and molasses. Awesome!!"
"these are delicious...the hint of cinnamon is wonderful!!! we love these!!!!"
"These are delicious!!! I can't stop making them. Thank you for sharing your recipe."