Moist Wild Rice Bread
Cooked wild rice and molasses steal the show in this old-fashioned loaf from Diane Nord. "My family really enjoys this bread, especially when used for egg salad sandwiches," notes the Wolverton, Minnesota baker. "Try adding some caraway and fennel seeds with the rosemary."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1-3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Wild Rice or cooked wild rice
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add the rice.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 94 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Wild Rice Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.