Moist Morning Glory Muffins
Not only did Rhonda Urich want "Light & Tasty" to cut the fat from her Morning Glory Muffins, but she hoped the staff could make them more nutritious. “I’d like to see flaxseed or whole wheat flour added, making them a healthy snack,” explains the Loveland, Colorado reader. We did just that. See how in the pages of the Dec/Jan 2006 issue of "Light & Tasty."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and shredded
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots, pecans, coconut, raisins and apple.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.