Moist Italian Beef Sandwiches
"Italian Beef Sandwiches are ready in a snap, I simply stop at the deli on the way home from work to pick up sliced roast beef and sandwich buns." Served with an au jus created by dressing up canned beef broth, the pepper-topped sandwiches make a perfect weeknight dinner.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 6 hoagie buns, split
- In a large skillet, bring the broth, garlic, oregano and pepper to a boil. Add green pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until green pepper is tender. Remove green pepper with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Return broth to a boil. Add roast beef; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 2 minutes or until heated through. Place beef and green pepper on buns; serve with broth for dipping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 357 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 1674mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Italian Beef Sandwiches in Quick Cooking May/June 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.