- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar
- Pecan halves, toasted, optional
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in cocoa and oil until smooth. Cook and stir over low heat until cocoa is blended. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to cocoa mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Garnish with pecan halves if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forMoist Cake Brownies
"My goto brownie recipe since it came out in the 1999 Taste of Home. The only part of it I've varied is the combination of chocolate chips I use. Most of the time, I use dark chocolate and semi semi sweet. Sometimes all semi sweet. Wouldn't worry if I didn't have milk chocolate and semi sweet because they are awesome."
"Followed the instructions, baked for exactly 25 minutes. These brownies turned out amazing! They were rich and yummy. Exactly what I want in a brownie."
"I made these exactly as written and they are wonderful! My son made them without the chocolate chips a few days later and they were just as good. EXCELLENT brownie recipe!!"
"I have been looking for the perfect homemade brownie recipe for over 30 years, and this is it! Most recipes I've tried were either too "fudgey" or were dry on the edges and wet in the middle. Well I have to say when I made these they came out perfect. I have now found my go to recipe for brownies and actually want to experiment with adding other "add ins" (caramel maybe?). I used a Dutch process cocoa and they were delicious. I did not have milk chocolate chips so I used all semi-sweet, next time I will try the recipe with both types. I even forwarded this to my daughter who is gluten intolerant so she can experiment and try to make it gluten free. I cannot thank you enough for this recipe!"
"This is just what I've been looking for thanks so much. Wonderful mixture of yummy delight"
"I have to admit... I have made a lot of recipes online before that were fabulous that I never left a review for because I thought... well there are other good reviews, that's good enough. But in this case I had to make an exception... I created an account specifically so I could put a review about this recipe. These are by far the best scratch brownies I've ever had in my life. I did make a small change, but to the things I had in my cabinets... and because I made these for my son's cub scout pack (so no nuts!)... Instead of the semi-sweet & milk chocolate chips, I added 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips & 2/3 c of heath chips. Now, I don't usually like heath, HOWEVER, there was something about the heath that just set off the rest of the taste. These are wicked good!"
"I loooooovvvvvvveeeeee this recipe, my family also loves this recipe I just made a few batches for my family visiting (whom requested them) and my co workers who also loved them. BEST BROWNIEEEEEEE RECIPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"I just realized I used salted butter. That's why it's too salty."
"It was all good until I added the salt and baking powder. It has too much of a salt taste, and takes away from some of the sweet. Since I used natural salt, maybe I should have used less. I also didn't put in the chocolate chips or nuts. So maybe without those, you have to adjust to using less salt."
"These brownies are terrific!"