Moist Apple Muffins
You don’t have to settle for fast food when you’re on the go this holiday season. These sweet apple muffins are a great snack anytime, and they make a tasty take-along for the busy days leading up to Christmas. —Jeanne Sherry, Putnam Valley, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cut into 24 slices
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the buttermilk. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture just until moistened. Fold in chopped apples.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Place sliced apples over batter. For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over tops.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.