Modern Waldorf Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked orecchiette or small tube pasta (about 6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, optional
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced deli smoked turkey, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix yogurt, mayonnaise, milk, mustard and, if desired, thyme until blended. Toss apple with lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, apple, turkey, strawberries and celery. Add dressing; toss gently to coat. If desired, sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 313 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 606mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
May 12, 2015
This was a hit with some at a church potluck. I would add more turkey, strawberries and apple and some salt when I prepare it again. I substituted sour cream for yogurt, elbow and shell macaroni for the orecchiette or small tube pasta, and chicken for the turkey.