Mock Pot Roast
With potatoes, carrots, peas and onions, this meat loaf is just like a pot roast. Using ground beef instead of another cut of meat, makes it an economical meal-Marsha Ransom, South Haven, Michigan.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon steak sauce
- 8 medium carrots, halved
- 8 small red potatoes
- 16 pearl onions
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Brush with steak sauce. Arrange carrots, potatoes and onions around loaf.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Add peas. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer. Uncover; baste with pan juices. Bake 5 minutes more or until the meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°.
To peel pearl onions, immerse them in boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Pinch at root ends and they'll slide out of their skins.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Mock Pot Roast in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book