Don't let the number of ingredients in this recipe fool you. The bulk of the items are combined all at once and simmered, making this no-fuss favorite.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes20-22 servings (5-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1 jar (24 ounces) chunky pasta sauce
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or 15 ounces garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage, onion and garlic until sausage is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in all remaining ingredients except the pasta and cheese. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add pasta and heat through. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Originally published as Mock Minestrone in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.