- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 8 cups sliced peeled zucchini
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press half of the crumb mixture into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Set remaining crumb mixture aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring zucchini and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Drain. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 cup reserved crumb mixture. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Spread filling evenly over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forMock Apple Pie Squares
"This is a great recipe. We found it a little sweet. Need something like this with less sugar."
"I have been making this recipe for years, always with rave reviews. It really does taste like apple! Great use of those overflowing garden goodies. Wonderful recipe for a bunch, highly recommend."
"I made the mistake of using grated zucchini that I had frozen over the summer and as a result the texture was not so great (a bit stringy). Next time I'll follow the recipe properly because the taste, though sweet, is really nice. Thanks for sharing :)"
"UNBELIEVABLE!! Try it and you'll be amazed. I still can't believe how good this is. Omitted the raisins, used a handful of walnuts and substituted one cup of whole wheat flour."
"This is wonderful. I didn't believe it would taste like apple pie but it does. It has a lot of sugar in it but the sweetness is not overpowering like I thought it would be. Definitely a keeper!"
"I've made this recipe several times now & really love it. You can't tell at all that it's made with zucchini.I took some to work & they loved it .Naturally I had to share the recipe with my co-workers.I love this recipe!YUMMY!"
"Enjoyed these bars. The topping is the same as the crust (answer to a previous question). I left out the raisins and nuts, and the bars turned out fine. Next time, I would slice the zucchini slices in half, too, even though the recipe doesn't call for it. Thanks!"
"ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! The yummy smell and taste made me think of the Amish. Just reminded me so much of something we would get in Lancaster. LOVE IT!!! I did omit the raisins and walnuts, just my preference."
"My family thought they were eating apple instead of zucchini. I made a few alterations on my second batch. I substituted Splenda Brown Sugar blend and sugar substitute for the sugar and was very pleased with the results."