Mock Apple Butter
Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg mingle to create a mouthwatering blend of spices in this sweet apple spread.—Nannette Sharon, Tucson, Arizona.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat; cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 82 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Half Hour Apple Butter in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008