Anytime I want a special treat just for my husband, Al, and me, I make these souffles.—Andrea Thomas, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Coat two 12-oz. souffle dishes with cooking spray and sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoon sugar; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the cocoa, 2 tablespoons of sugar, cornstarch and coffee granules. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Beat in remaining sugar until peaks form. Gently fold into mocha mixture. Pour into prepared dishes. Place in shallow pan; add 1 in. of hot water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until tops feel firm when lightly touched. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 221 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 starch, 1/2 lean meat.
Originally published as Mocha Souffles in Taste of Home February/March 1999