Mocha Nut Roll
I’ve enjoyed this dessert several times at a friend’s house, and it never ceases to be delightful. The tender, impressive cake is the ultimate indulgence for anyone who loves coffee or chocolate!—Susan Bettinger, Battle Creek, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- MOCHA FILLING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar and chocolate curls, optional
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick). Stir in walnuts.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° until cake springs back when lightly touched, 10-15 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, coffee granules, and salt. Stir in milk and chocolate. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160°, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat; gently stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. If desired, just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and garnish with chocolate curls.