Mocha Cream Torte
My guests never guess that this impressive chocolate dessert relies on a packaged cake mix. Mocha flavor and cream cheese frosting make it special. —Mary Lonse, Chatfield, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon mocha-flavored coffee drink mix
- 1 package dark chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mocha-flavored coffee drink mix
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; grease and flour the paper. In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, brown sugar, butter, walnuts and drink mix; press into prepared pans.
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; pour over prepared crusts. Bake according to package directions. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Remove waxed paper.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, sour cream and drink mix until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer, crunchy side up, on a serving plate. Spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Repeat with remaining layers and frosting. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Pillsbury dark chocolate cake mix.
Originally published as Mocha Cream Torte in Country Woman Christmas 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.