- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour and salt all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg; beat until smooth. Drop batter into four mounds 3 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove puffs to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each for steam to escape; cool.
- For the filling, combine 3 tablespoons cream, chocolate chips, sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until the chips are melted; stir until blended. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in vanilla, coffee and remaining cream. Transfer to a small mixing bowl. Refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, split puffs and remove soft dough. Beat filling until stiff. Fill cream puffs; replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 cream puffs.
Reviews forMocha Cream Puffs
"My go to cream puff recipe. I like that it doesn't have a custard center."
"These taste like they should be SO hard to make, but they're quite easy. Delicious!"
"I made these for a family gathering at New Years and they were loved by young and old alike."