Mocha Chip Hazelnut Scones
Scrumptious with breakfast or afternoon coffee, these moist, tender scones boast a delightful combination of rich flavors. The toasted hazelnuts add a welcome crunch. —Sharon Gerow, Belleville, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 4-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Dissolve coffee granules in milk: set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir milk mixture into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 266 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.