Mixed Rice and Barley Bake
The mellow flavor of the wholesome grains in this nutritious casserole is enhanced by garlic, onion and thyme. "The hearty easy-to-prepare side dish goes great with meat, fish or poultry," notes Marion Bengson of New Brighton, Minnesota. "I make it often for my family and for company, Everyone enjoys it."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Rinse wild rice with hot water; drain. Combine the wild rice, brown rice and barley. In a saucepan, saute garlic in butter. Add rice mixture; saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion, mushrooms, broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 70 minutes or until rice and barley are tender. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 129 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Mixed Rice and Barley Bake in Light & Tasty October/November 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.