Mixed Greens with Blue Cheese Dressing
I like to make this dish with whatever greens are in season. In spring, I use tender young greens from my garden, including spinach and Bibb lettuce. This salad is our favorite to serve with a baked chicken casserole. It's also perfect for potlucks-just toss the dressing with vegetables right before serving.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 quarts mixed salad greens
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 4 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
- BLUE CHEESE DRESSING:
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoon chopped green onions
- In a large salad bowl, combine first four ingredients. Chill until serving. Combine dressing ingredients; toss with salad mixture just until coated.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 181 calories, 13g fat (0 saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1/2 meat.
Originally published as Mixed Greens with Blue Cheese Dressing in Country February/March 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.