Mixed Greens with Bacon & Cranberries
When my holiday menu calls for a green salad, I rely on this one loaded with crumbled bacon, dried cranberries and blue cheese. The homemade vinaigrette is full of zesty flavor.—Teresa Ralston, New Albany, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 6 thick-sliced peppered bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring orange juice to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in cranberries; let stand 5 minutes. Drain, discarding remaining juice or saving for another use.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula and salad greens; top with cheese, bacon and cranberries. In a small bowl, whisk vinaigrette ingredients. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately.